Setting goals- 1 min
The focus for the module I’m currently teaching is goals, plans and tasks, which is perfect. I’m a goal-oriented person who likes a changing plan.
The students are charged with setting a goal for post-uni times. Do they:
- Want a job?
- Want to start as a freelancer?
- Launch a company with their coursemates?
- Something completely different?
The next step is to build a plan using the Agile tools they’ve learned in recent years to break down their individual goal into manageable chunks. Are there:
- Skills they need to acquire?
- People they need to talk with?
- Portfolio pieces they need to gather?
Finally, take the granular steps and put them into action. Each week they provide an update to gain feedback from myself and other students.
- What needs to be done today?
- What needs to be done tomorrow?
- What is high and low priority?
To avoid falling into the trap of teaching what you don’t practice, I’ve followed along with the sessions and put in the time to develop an idea into a plan.
It’s been nice, and I’m looking forward to seeing where the mini-project goes. It’s certainly helping with in-class prep and giving me an excuse to expand my skill set.